Re: [IRCA] Oregon Beach DXpedition

Hi Guy (and Derek, Walt and Patrick),

Despite the challenges of taking along a lot of DXing gear during a family
vacation to Oregon, I would certainly recommend that you try investigate
the  Oregon beach DU propagation boost with sensitive receivers and antennas.
The DU propagation advantage over Grayland was pretty  astonishing for me,
and your chosen vacation site of Yachats is very close  to Lincoln City.

A couple of examples are MP3's of the following stations, neither of  which
produced a trace for me during five previous Grayland DU trips with
Ultralight gear. The first is pop music from a presumed 603-Radio Waatea in  New
Zealand, a 5 kw Maori-language station. I had never even received  a
significant DU heterodyne on 603 kHz in Grayland, and this station was at  an S7-S8
level on most mornings in Lincoln City:
     _http://www.mediafire.com/?mxy9odb6ml42e0z_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?mxy9odb6ml42e0z)

Another was a strong DU talk station on 639 kHz (presumed 2HC, a 5 kw
station in Coff's Harbour), fighting it out with Radio Fiji One on most
mornings. I felt lucky to even get 639-Fiji on Ultralight gear in Grayland, but  it
Lincoln City, 639-Fiji was kind of a pest, so I felt lucky to get this
clear MP3 of the 639 DU talk station:
   _http://www.mediafire.com/?c1nwlbzljz4y23k_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?c1nwlbzljz4y23k)

I know that you have received quite a few DU's on modified ULR's in Yachats
 during previous trips, Guy, but you may discover that the Oregon beach
propagation boost is worthy of further investigation!

73, Gary

In a message dated 7/27/2010 10:46:20 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hi Walt,

I think it might be the  combination of sea gain at the coast *and* the
higher elevation of a cliff.  As you probably know, there's one theory about
the coastal effect which  promotes the abrupt boundary between salt laden,
moist air over the water  and the drier inland air as a factor or cause of
the enhancement. Perhaps  the increased elevation at a seaside cliff
location
results in different  (better?) arrival angles of signals that pass through
this  boundary.

It's interesting enough that it has me considering putting  one Perseus SDR
with a basic antenna (eg., small ALA100 loop) at sea level  in Yachats, OR
next month and set to record WAV files, while also recording  from on top of
the nearby foothills behind the town (clear-cut logging  area) with the 2nd
Perseus and identical antenna.

This might be more  complexity and fussing around on a family vacation than
want to tackle,  though; but the results could be interesting! The foothills
near our annual  Yachats, OR vacation spot have an area that's been logged,
and the western  portion is within 1/2 mile of the water...close enough
still
for some  coastal effect.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup,  WA
http://fivebelow.squarespace.com

Message: 4
>  Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:26:14 +0000
> From: Walter Salmaniw  <canswl@xxxxxxxxx>
>         <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [IRCA] Oregon Beach  DXpedition
>
> For the life of  me, I can't understand why a cliff face (being on top of
> cliff)  offers any advantages to DXing, though.  Wonder if anyone would
>  offer
> an explanation or guess.  There have been discussions  regarding having a
> mountain or cliff behind you, but not on top.  .........Walt

original  contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA,
its  editors, publishing staff, or officers

For more information:  http://www.ircaonline.org