Re: [IRCA] Oregon Beach DXpedition

Guy and Walt,

When I moved back to the coast in 1979, I lived on 6th in Seaside, 1/2
block from the beach. I knew nothing about antennas other than the
beverage, but did not have room for that. Anyway, I had my old EH Scott
RBO 2 military surplus receiver with L/C filters only going down to 3
KHZ, so I added an old Q Multiplier I had and it  helped, but I really
did not need it as the dial was loaded with DUs morning after morning.
Stations like 4MK 1026 with S9+20 DB at times causing splatter as well
at KMVI-550. My antenna consisted of a wire out the window around the
back of the house, a far cry from a EWE. hi. Yet, the DX rolled in. I
remember going to the PO one day in the Summer of 1979 and finding 7
QSLs, 4 from Australia and 3 from NZ and I just got the mail the
previous day. I thought those conditions would go on forever, but by the
mid 80s, the great DU conditions began to drop off. In 1981 I moved out
here North of Seaside, but even here there was little difference in the
DU conditions, at a mile inland and 8 miles North, but I notice more of
a difference now I think, but DU signals are generally not what they
were 30 years ago either.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside Oregon
"Come visit us for the 2010 IRCA convention held Sept 24-26 at the Inn
At Seaside."