Re: [IRCA] Report from Burnt River ON

I strongly suspect your 549 is Algeria which is back on the air and putting a real good signal into eastern DXers QTH's 73 KAZ ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chernos Saul" <sauldx@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <amdx@xxxxxxxxxx>; <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:10 PM
Subject: [IRCA] Report from Burnt River ON

Some moderate TA activity at Biurnt River. Not all that stable on the more interesting channels, and even 1134 Croatia was at times close to armchair and then without audio. I'm working 531 and 549. The latter had brief snippets of middle eastern music, a bit closer to pop than anything obviously religious. But 531 and 549 have never been there at the same time. At one point I was pretty certain I had one of two stations on 531 //to one of two stations on 252, which would suggest Algeria. But for 549 I'm not yet ready to rule out Saudi or Algeria. Have had Germany 765, Spain 531 855 621 (or Canary) + others; Saudi 1521 (also not able to //549 as signals everywhere have been unreliable); 747 probably Holland; UK 909, and probably Libya on 972.09 ... had brief very faint audio.

1670 Ottawa is obviously testing, as had mostly an open carrier. Interestingly, had French with Haitian accent underneath, audible even with Ottawa doing music. I've had a Boston-area pirate there before.

1630 had TISes from (I think) RI and MA. Have some checking to do.

1180 has a chirp/tweet kind of sound, as if it were a jammer. One of the two known Rebelde stations is in //5025 and with a good clear signal at times, all u/WHAM.

For you VHF buffs, the Geminids meteor shower is underway. Bursts were unimpressive earlier but seem to be picking up as the evening progressive. Far as I can tell, the peak is supposed to be around midnight Sunday night (Monday morning) Eastern time. I'm working FM.

Saul Chernos

Burnt River ON