[IRCA] MW loggings from the South Pacific for 7 November, 2009, and a few from the 8th.

[IRCA] MW loggings from the South Pacific for 7 November, 2009, and a few from the 8th.

MW observations for 7 November 2009 from the Tasman Sea between Tasmania and New Zealand aboard the HAL Amsterdam using a modified Eton e100 receiver. Satellite is down tonight, so I'll have to try this again in the morning.

New Zealand stations are dominating despite being only a third way across the Tasman:

531: More FM ID noted about 08:05 on 8 Nov. Listed as Alexandra, Otago with 2 kW.

567: RNZ National, Wellington at excellent level at 09:10

594: 2 cochannel. Presumably an Aussie and Radio Rhema, with 2 listed in PAL, but most likely the 5 kW tx at Timaru. Also heard the following evening at excellent level.

657: Southern Star network with frequent IDs at excellent level at 09:15. Ads for Springs Road Auto Services, Hornby and for Petworld in Christchurch. Many // noted. Presumably the 50 kW tx in Wellington.

693: Radio Sport, Dunedin at 5 kW dominating another cochannel from Australia (with an ad for solar power).

765: 2EC with local ID at 09:24 at good level, into song, “Monday, Monday”. 5 kW located in Bega, NSW.

873: 2GB, The Talk of Sydney with 10 kW(day)/5 kW (night) at excellent level with a Sydney cabbie being interviewed.

909: Southern Star, Napier with 5 kW with network ID at 09:30. Very good.

927: Newstalk ZB, Palmerston North with 2 kW at very good level, // 945 Gisbourne also 2 kW at fair/good level with talk about appliance repair in Auckland.

990: unid ethnic station with call-in program, cochannel with play-by play station which was also // to 1008 (excellent level). I wonder whether the 990 station is Radio Trackside, Nelson with 1 kW, while the 1008 was Newstalk ZB, Tauranga at 10 kW?

1026: The Word, Invercargill at 2.5 kW with religious program about Moses. Very good reception. I’ve never heard of this network before.

1062: Radio Sport, Wanganui at 1 kW with “Radio Sport news” (later weather), and TC for “6 minutes after 10”. 09:06 UTC. Very good reception.

1080: Newstalk ZB, Auckland at 10 kW, cochannel an unid C&W station.

1107: SBS Radio, Sydney with 5 kW with ethnic programming (sounds Cantonese) cochannel another ethnic unid station.

1180: My one and only 10 kHz station heard at fair level in SS. This one is apparently VOA/Radio Marti from Marathon, Fl according to John from Sydney. I’m pleased about this catch!

1224: SBS Radio, Melbourne with 5 kW in Cantonese at 09:38 at very good level.

1287: Newstalk ZB ID at 09:39 into music. The most recent PAL lists this one as Radio Sport, but very good reception and positive ID noted. Location listed as Westport with 2 kW. Noted at same time // to 1296 at exc level which is Hamilton at 2.5 kW.

1314: Play by play with echo noted. PAL lists 2 sports radio stations from Australia (the NZ stations listed don’t match the format), so it seems that they were both playing the same play by play? 3BT is Sports 927 in Balarat, Victoria with 5 kW and 2ZW is 2KY Racing Radio in Wollongong, NSW also with 5 kW. Interesting!

1386: Radio Tarana, Auckland at 10 kW with Hindi programming at 09:42 at very good level.

1422: Very strong station with Indian music, at least that’s what it sounded like to me at very good level. PAL notes only Radio Hellas from Melbourne with 5 kW, though.

1440: 1SBS, Canberra with 2 kW with Cantonese programming at 09:44 at fair/good level.

1494: 2AY ID at fair level at 09:45. This is from Albury, NSW with 2 kW.

How I wish I had my Perseus SDR with me to catch a few TOH segments for future fun! Oh well, standing at the aft end of the ship with my Eton receiver is still loads of fun, but has had people looking twice at me! Cheers from the Tasman! ……Walt Salmaniw

PS: One SW logging, thanks to John in Sydney: 08:00 7325 Wantok Radio Light from PNG with low modulation talk after spiritual music around 08:01, presumed ID at fair to good level using Colin Newell’s Grundig Aviator G6. Thanks, Colin!