Re: [IRCA] No DUs in AB

At 07:31 PM 8/15/2009, you wrote:
>Hi Nigel,
>
>Thanks for sharing your impressions of the summer DU season.
>
>For some reason unknown to me, the Aussies and Kiwis have really boomed in
>during the three one-night trips I made to Grayland this summer. It seemed
>like  the propagation either favored one or the other, however-- not both at
>the same  time. The 2 and 2.5 kw Kiwis (927-2ZA and 1296-1ZH) owned their
>frequencies last  Sunday, during morning enhancement.
>
>It's always amazing to consider the difference between ocean coast
>propagation and my home location (80 miles inland), though. After logging 23  DU's
>at Grayland, I still haven't heard audio from a single one at  home.
>
>73, Gary DeBock

I was hoping for some DU reception during a brief two day visit to the Queen Charlottes on August 1 and 2nd, but no luck using my Perseus SDR and SW oriented ALA 100M loop (and a N/S mini Beverage).  Instead toward local dawn the usual JJ and KK stations were there, as well as the odd CC too (ie CRI in Russian on 1323).  Overall it was rather disappointing.  Even Tahiti on 738 was barely there on the SDR's waterfall.  I know that the DUs propagate, as they were there at excellent level when I did an overnighter late last August at Rose Spit (the north-east corner of the Queen Charlottes).......Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC