Re: [IRCA] Tecsun PL-300WT DSP-enhanced Ultralight Radio--Amazing Performance

Re: [IRCA] Tecsun PL-300WT DSP-enhanced Ultralight Radio--Amazing Performance

Hey Paul:

Good question.  In looking back, I realized that Grundig has quite a
history of making substantial changes to Tecsun/Degen models, for better
or for worse:
 - The G5 is really the 1103 but with better ergonomics, and the two
models look quite a bit different from each other.
 - The M400 is apparently the DE1123 without the MP3 player
 - The G8 is based on the PL-300WT but bigger, without DSP, and who knows
what else

Of course, they often import and sell models as-is, such as the woeful
Mini-World M300 (Tecsun R919), the now-famous e100 (Tecsun PL-200), etc.

So, it appears that Grundig is in a position to ask/tell Tecsun and Degen
what they think would be a good seller on this side of the Pond and to
retool the manufacturing plant accordingly.  Given the performance of the
PL-300WT, why they would dumb it down to the G8 is anyone's guess.
Perhaps Grundig believes that such a radio should be a little bigger, and
that North American consumers don't need, aren't savvy about, and/or don't
want the restricted bandwidth of, DSP?

Perhaps a cautionary note to Grundig here: if the PL-300WT is
representative of a new wave of irresistably-priced radios that are
properly aligned and perform well out of the box, and the Chinese eBay
sellers continue to give good service, Western distributors might find
their task of selling us radios a lot harder??

At any rate, I look forward to hearing about the G8 if/when someone takes
the plunge.  Since it is too big to be an Ultralight, and appears to be of
lesser performance, it probably won't be me!  I am likely going to save up
my egg money for the PL-310 and/or PL-380, apparently the successors to
the PL-200 (Eton e100).

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA