Re: [IRCA] 9 Foot Longwave Box Loop (and other projects)

Re: [IRCA] 9 Foot Longwave Box Loop (and other projects)

Hi Kevin,

The 9 Foot Longwave box loop project was kind of an offshoot from the 10
foot medium-wave box loop project, which used almost identical 1.25" diameter
 PVC tubing. The only difference was that the LW version requires about 4
times  as much #18 wire, which at today's copper price may deter a few LW
enthusiasts  from building one of these monsters. Although I'm not an
experienced LW DXer,  both the gain and directivity of this huge loop seem to be
formidable  indeed. I plan to add a couple more turns to the loop to drop the
coverage down  to 150 kHz, as Patrick suggests.

As for my sole neighbor, my full-size 2-element ham radio quad  antenna (on
a 40' tower) was in full view, when he purchased his house.  Presumably, he
knew what he was getting into. He jokes to his guests that I  "work for the
CIA."

73, Gary

In a message dated 5/3/2009 10:02:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,