Re: [IRCA] Wi-Fi legality (OT)

Something ironic...(this illustrates the fact there are so many laws, not
even a lawyer could possibly be aware of them all)...I eventually sold the
Direct TV receivers previously mentioned on Ebay to a gentleman in Ontario.
After 3 weeks he didn't receive them and wanted a refund. So, I contacted
USPS, but they couldn't trace the shipment after it crossed the border. The
buyer from Ontario did some research and found they were in Canadian customs
awaiting destruction! The Direct TV cards were still in the receivers which
is apparently illegal in Canada. This law was to protect another corporation
which provides satellite TV to Canada (I think the name was Northstar or
similar). Anyway, I lost money on the deal because of that. Lesson learned!

As far as the cable TV interference, after service ended I disconnected all
the nice cables they ran outside and through the house. Then as I was
gardening last spring accidently roto-tilled through the portion going to
the house. So, there's no QRM from cable TV! These days we have 2 OTA
Digital TV boxes, 5 computers, 4 TVs, half a dozen video game consoles and
DVD players. The interference level is so high that DXing inside the house
with a loop antenna is impossible. The outdoor antennas are mostly quiet.
The Cushcraft D3 Dipole for 10/15/20 meters above the roof can only pick 20
meters. There's too much QRM on 10 and 15 (probably from the wireless water
meter the city just installed). All loggings with the Ultralight (E100) are
made in the backyard or when I take walks around the local recreation
center. I sold the Kiwa Loop...hi.

Chris Knight
Fort Lupton, CO