Re: [IRCA] Wi-Fi legality (OT)

Walt and everyone,

I am not a lawyer, and  have not consulted one. But since any wifi set
can be set to work with a password, my feeling is that if the signal is
open, then it is up for grabs. A question I would be more apt to ask, is
it right to use it?, more or a moral issue. I doubt anyone is going to
be sued or fined if they use an open internet connection. First of all,
in my case, I have no clue where it is coming from. There are several
motels, internet cafes, that have open wifi's in Seaside.  Second, I
would gladly pay the person "rent" on using the wifi, if I could. I
don't have many options. None are really viable. No DSL, satellite is
rough in our weather, and cable, the only "real" option and I am very
concerned the RF would leak all over the dial. I did not spend hundreds
of hours of grounding, shielding, etc to just run a piece of coax into
the house to permanently mess up my DX. I would rather do without a
computer completely, before I would lose my DX. But in my case, the wifi
is there. I also wait until late at night to use it, when no one else is
online with it. I can always tell, as I get full speed when no one else
is using it, generally 36 megs. During rainy weather, it will drop to 24
megs though. It is a rather weak signal, so it could be coming from some
distance. But of course, the week is was off, I did not have it, so it
is always something that may not be there tomorrow.

Patrick