Re: [IRCA] ULTRALIGHT DX.....1090 SPANISH UNID...Revisited???

On Sunday 15 March 2009 09:06, Robert S.Ross VA3SW wrote:
>   Thanks for the info on RADIO CINCO the Mexican Network.
> However....I really don't think this is gonna be what I heard
> (Several Times)!! The Station I am hearing is predominantly a MUSIC
> STATION.....not a lot of talk. Lots of Accordion and Up-Tempo
> Mexican flavoured Music...with a Mix of Spanish Ballads. The
> Jingles or Slogans I heard are definitely "PUNTO CINCO". I know
> some don't believe you can tell what direction a Station is coming
> from using an Ultralight Radio.....but I find that this T-615 is
> pretty accurate when the Ferrite Antenna is pointed at a
> Station...and I feel that this station is coming from the Southeast
> more or less. Perhaps the South Eastern USA?? I wonder if maybe
> this is actually an ENGLISH Station that Runs a Mexican Format LATE
> AT NIGHT???..since I always hear it after Midnight?? I don't
> believe it is a TRUE MEXICAN at least Geographically!!

I guess the "some don't believe" refers to me, since I didn't see
anyone else chime in on this topic.  For the record, I didn't say
that you can't tell what direction a station is coming from, I simply
stated that there are limitations that you must keep in mind.  There
are other technically inclined folks on this list who could expound
on this in a calm and rational manner, but they haven't spoken up -
apparently it's a touchy subject.  Oh well.

> The thing that puzzles me is that NOBODY ELSE has been hearing
> this??? Not even the Canadian Boys who are located fairly close to
> me???

I tried last night, but it was no go.  IBOC jammers WTIC and WTAM were
laying waste to 1090 from both sides, big time.  It was difficult
even to get intelligible audio from WBAL - I could tell there was
something under them, but it was washed out by hiss.  You folks
further west get less signal from both WBAL and WTIC, so you have a
better chance to dig a little deeper on 1090.  If it's only on after
midnight, maybe nobody else has been up late enough!

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON