Re: [IRCA] Palstar MW550P + Box Loop Antenna

Re: [IRCA] Palstar MW550P + Box Loop Antenna

Hi Brandon:

I would think it is possible.  I have heard that the schematics are on the
Palstar site, and it would be a matter of figuring out how to tie in the
inductor of the box loop in place of the inductor already in the MW550P
box.  Steve Ratzlaff has taken one of these apart and may be able to
provide more specifics.

I have been doing similar things with the Quantum Loop base unit.  Using
the Crate Loop, I have wound substitute "heads" to take the place of the
ferrite heads, and now have a LW, MW and SW (1.8-10 mhz) versions of crate
loops which plug directly into the base unit, with the base unit sitting
inside the crate itself.  I've cc'd your personal email with some pictures
of the LW version (which uses for crates stacked together), while the MW
and SW each use one crate.  The gain over the corresponding ferrite head
is appreciable (15-20 db at least) - in fact you have to turn the gain
down to avoid overloading the circuitry, which is perhaps something to
watch on the MW550P (which has a 15 db attenuator as I recall).  If you
have access to a Quantum Loop, Palomar Loop or similar base unit, this
might be the easier way to go, since you don't have to open up the unit
and make any changes.  Drop me a note off-line if you want more details on
this.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

> Hi Nick,
>
>> A tuned loop already has a lot of preselection capability, so the
selectivity of the MW550P might not be that useful.   At 12 dB maximum,
it's not really high gain, but high gain probably wouldn't be needed in
your location unless the loop antenna was quite small.

>> Or were you thinking of replacing the 550P's internal inductor with the
winding of your loop antenna?

> Since the MW550P has a large 6:1 vernier tuning capacitor, I was
thinking the MW550P could replace the loop tuning capacitor completely
and that it could perhaps sit inside the crate loop.