Re: [IRCA] Palstar MW550P + Box Loop Antenna

At 20:13 1/19/2009, you wrote:

>I have been working on setting up my shack today, and un-boxed a Palstar MW550P Active Preselector/Tuner that I've had for years and never used much. I know that it features a very large capacitor along with 6:1 vernier tuning, so I can't help but think:
>
>Can this be used as a tuner/amp for a box loop?

No reason why it shouldn't, Brandon, though its size could mean you'd  want to place it next to your receiver.

A tuned loop already has a lot of preselection capability, so the selectivity of the MW550P might not be that useful.   At 12 dB maximum, it's not really high gain, but high gain probably wouldn't be needed in your location unless the loop antenna was quite small.

Or were you thinking of replacing the 550P's internal inductor with the winding of your loop antenna?

best wishes,

Nick