[IRCA] TPs frm Orcas Is. on Oct 11!

You guys wondered how I always time it for the best conditions at Grayland.... The secret is quite simple, really. As a member of the "post-employment cohort" I'm privileged to DX at Grayland Monday through Friday.... or more specifically, Tuesday morning through Friday morning. All of you guys DXing on Saturday and Sunday morning suck all of the DX outta the air and split it among far too many folks. Monday morning, the ionosphere is healing from the weekend of overuse, so I DX Tuesday AM through Friday. Works like a charm, since I discovered the pattern.

I fired up late this morning, thank goodness, and thought my antennas had been seriously damaged while I was gone. At 1340, I had 774 JJ at a 7 and nothing else! There were only four or five other hets. I think that I would have turned it off, convinced of antenna damage, except for the strangled early complaints from Dennis, Walt and Colin. I switched to the Aussie antenna and was rewarded by a fair DU opening and even caught the 747//774//828 Japanese, by far their best on the Aussie loop! Must have been getting some kind of backscatter bank shot for them to be coming from the Southwest.

The peak seemed to be about 1405 or 1410, about 15 minutes before LSR. I'm sure that Walt did better from Victoria, but here are my paltry gleanings:

Level 6 murmurs unless noted:

567 @7 DU
576 @7 DU
585
594
612 @8+ DU doing well
666
675 @7 DU
702 @7 DU
747 JJ
756 RNZ ID at 1406
765
774 JJ
819
828 JJ
873

Well, I didn't cause this disaster by becoming bored with all of the East Asians.... It was great fun and a real privilege!!!

John B.