Re: [IRCA] CKXR-580 Salmon Arm BC silent?

From: Deane McIntyre <dmcintyr@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The CRTC announced today that on May 8 of this year it had extended
the simulcast period on AM of CKXR-580 Salmon Arm BC, which moved to
FM some time ago, to August 27 2008. See Item 5, Appendix 2:

<http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Notices/2008/pb2008-77.htm>

In theory this means that CKXR should now be silent,  in fact I have
not heard
them for some time (they often came in well here in Calgary in the null
of CKUA). Can anyone confirm that they are in fact off for good?

73,

Deane McIntyre VE6BPO

Yes: this was in DXLD 8-095:

** CANADA. 91.5 Salmon Arm EZRock AM 580 --- Andy Reid has sent you a message via your contact form (http://www.salmonarm.myezrock.com/contact/683) at 91.5 Salmon Arm EZRock.

Message: Hello Who can I contact via email or phone re the status of your AM 580 signal. Regards (Andy Reid, via DXLD)

Hi Andy, you can contact me with questions (Larry King, AScT, Chief Engineer, Astral Media, Radio G.P. BC Interior, 300-435 Bernard Ave. Kelowna B.C. V1Y 6N8, direct 250-868-4733, cell 250-212-8866, Email: lking @ radio.astral.com http://www.astralmedia.com July 14 via Andy Reid, ibid.)

Thanks, Larry. As you know, EZ Rock of Salmon Arm won approval to flip AM 580 to FM and have done that. Since the sign on, they have been forced to keep the AM signal on while coverage issues are corrected. I think they may have involved some additional repeaters? What I would like to know is if you have a date set for the termination of AM 580 or has it already left the air and if so when. Regards (Andy Reid, Canadian Country Editor, World Radio TV Handbook, http://www.wrth.com ibid.)

Hi Andy, We will be shutting AM 580 down by the 31st of August. we have added repeaters at Enderby on 104.3 FM and  are about to turn on Sicamous 102.1 FM (Larry King, July 15, ibid.)

Yes, as of 7:39, August 27, 2008, Salmon Arm's AM 580 has been turned off. The end of a 40 + year era (Larry King, Aug 30, ibid.)

580 was CKXR, 10/1 kW (Glenn Hauser)