Re: [IRCA] Sony ICF-SW7600GR Hot-Rodding

Re: [IRCA] Sony ICF-SW7600GR Hot-Rodding

Hello Kevin,

     Thanks for your comments.  It should be a  simple matter to really boost
the sensitivity (and DX performance) of this  popular portable, and I have
ordered some new Amidon 7.5" ferrite bars to create  a 15" loopstick (with
frequency-optimized ferrite and Litz wire).  This  type of formula has been highly
successful in the "hot-rodded" ICF-2010's, which  have the same type of
fixed-coil loopstick.

     Unfortunately, such sensitivity boosting cannot  cure existing defects
such as spurs and images, which are magnified as well as  the DX signals,
locals, etc.  My ICF-SW7600GR also has some spurs and  images, as detailed in the
ICF-EX5 review posted on dxer.ca, in which it was  used for comparison
purposes.  The hot-rodded ICF-2010's (19" and 30"  loopsticks) have spurs and images
also, but these are insignificant at a  location like Grayland, where the
vastly improved sensitivity is extremely  important.

     Kevin, it's questionable whether Amidon will  send my ferrite bars
before our vacation starts in six days, but if the  hot-rodded ICF-SW7600GR can't
be created before then, it will be finished after  the vacation.  Due to space
limitations in our compact Corolla (five  travelers to Oregon with all the
associated "necessities" of modern  leisure),  I may need to "make do" with a
stock ICF-2010 as an  Ultralight spotting receiver, as much as I have been
"spoiled" by the hot  -rodded models  :>)

     73,  Gary