[IRCA] Grayland, Wednesday July 9: Very Good

[IRCA] Grayland, Wednesday July 9: Very Good

Conditions continued to improve this morning, with the lower 2/3 of the band full of hets and threshold audio when I tuned in at at 1050, 90 minutes before dawn. Things improved steadily from there until dawn; the early post-dawn show from 1220 UTC was the best of all. At that point, even the upper band was full of either hets or at least threshold audio. Most of the low band Usual Suspects were in 8 level, good audio, for at least a while this morning, with 774-3LO Melbourne leading the pack at a solid 9 at dawn.

There were a number of stations available at max. dawn or after that have been in my log since the early 1990s, but are not that often heard in the last several years. These included:

684 Radio Fiji //639 noted at 1135 and later with 2KP Kempsey mixing
882 1YC as Southern Star, Auckland doing well, with Star ID at 1250
936 7ZR Hobart, TAS Metro Svc //774 at 1210
1044 4ZB Dunedin heard at an 8 //1035 1217
1413 2EA Newcastle (presumed) with DU talk 1230

For the first time in two years, this morning also brought me DUs that I've never heard before or don't have QSLed:

765 5CC Port Lincoln, SA I FINALLY caught an ID on this one that I've been hearing lately running classic rock. Reallky please to have heard this one as a new 5 KW distance record on Ultralights, too, with the E100.

1287 Probable 2TM Tamworth with DU EE discussion for about 4 minutes around 1230. The only other possible is NZs Radio Sport and this was a non-saport telephone talk show. Gonna check with 2TM.

1251 Probable 1XG, Radio Rhema noted with music and DU talk at band fade 1302

The Japanese were there early, as has been usual, peaking about a half hour before dawn. A real surprise, though was 1134-JOQR, Tokyo just blasting in at 1220 dawn. Who knew?

I managed to find time to do some good with the ultralights, an E100 hooked to the Wellbrook Array, logging five new ones:

765 5CC Port Lincoln, SA
936 7ZR Hobart, TAS
1044 Newstalk ZB, Dunedin, NZ
1134 JOQR, Tokyo
1233 2NC, Newcastle, NSW

I also reviewed things from Tuesday AM and found that I also logged KHVH-830, Honolulu with the E100 at about dawn, running Coast to Coast. This morning, the Hawaiians were largely absent, though I had little time to devote to them, anyway.

As you may have noted, I was joined last night at the Grayland Motel by Gary DeBock who drove the two hours down from Puyallup to catch the dawn this AM. We had a great session on Ultralights and mods last night and again this morning before he headed back North. Since Gary is attempting DUs with the much more difficult ferrite bar modifications and Barefoot, his loggings aren't quite as numerous as mine using the Wellbrook Array. Nevertheless, the modified E100s with Amidon ferrite bars and an upgraded IF filter are turning out to be real DX Hogs in their own right. Gary's loggings were very impressive. I'm sure when we get to the Fall Asian Season with the generally higher signal levels, the hand-held modified E100s are gonna shine.

Well, I've got one more morning at Grayland and find myself greedy for more!

John B.
WinRadio 313e + Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Arrays, SW and NW
Grayland, WA, USA