[IRCA] CO Tornados

The storm track for the largest of the half dozen tornados that struck
northern CO recently showed the 1-mile wide twister crossing right
through the WWV / WWVB property just north of Fort Collins before
continuing on into WY leaving a 35-mile long path of destruction. I
queried the NIST folks to see if they had suffered any damage. I
received this reply today:

The stations were not damaged by the storm last week; although we did
lose power for several hours, our backup power systems functioned
normally and the broadcasts were not interrupted more than a few
seconds. We did see gusty winds and ping-pong ball sized hail, but the
tornado had apparently lifted or bypassed the stations by the time the
storm moved over us.

Thanks for asking.

Sincerely,
Glenn Nelson
National Institute of Standards and Technology Radio Stations WWV/WWVB