Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] PART 15 QUESTION

This talking house had the standard "Real estate" looking transmitter
and the whip that belonged with it. It looked normal. Of course to hear
it at 3-4 miles I was using the R8 and 45' vertical at home.

Low power stations can cover far more than expected.  20+ years ago when
cordless phones used the 1600-1800KHz band, I identified one at several
miles. They ordered a pizza and gave their address... And no, I didn't try
for a QSL.

There was a thread recently on the broadcast list about Part 15 rigs, and
how to set them up.  The consensus seemed to be that they could not be
mounted on a tower or building as it would (apparently) violate the ground
plus antenna length restriction. Personally, I would not include the tower
and only the connection or mount itself.  There has to be some point where
the ground wire becomes the ground and no longer part of the system.
Otherwise the entire earth would always factor in, and no Part 15 rig would
ever be legal.

It would be very interesting to put one on a balloon and send it a thousand
or so feet in the air.  No way could they consider the rope that ties it
down to be part of the antenna.  There are no height restrictions listed.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI