[IRCA] DU's Take a Day Off

Hello Guys,

     As reported by Steve, the DU's were very miserable  this morning, even
right on the ocean beach.  Guy Atkins had a 600' BOG run  in the SW direction
hooked up to his E1 at the Grayland Beach access road, and I  was using the
ICF-2010 with a 19.5" loopstick.  Our net result was  weak audio on 531 (on both
setups), and some moderate carriers on 612, and a few  other frequencies.  The
signal levels were far below stock Ultralight  capabilities..

     It was about 38 degrees on the beach, with a nice  icy breeze around 4
AM, as we waited for some DX to show up.  Nothing  did, but even at that
bizarre hour a steady stream of clam  diggers proceeded to the beach in their
RF-hash producing beater cars,  staring at us like we were nuts.  Around sunrise the
531 audio improved  from hopeless to miserable, but the SRF-T615's were
completely  unimpressed.  Only the 20" loopstick model SRF-39FP had a trace of 531
audio, but no ID's (again).

     Guy and I had planned to return to our  Westport motel to catch a nap
before the 2-hour return trip, but we were both so  frozen and frazzled that a
simultaneous decision was made to  immediately drive both our cars straight
back to Puyallup.  The total  Ultralight DX tally for the night:  JOUB-774,
barely reaching audio level  on the SRF-T615 around 1200 UTC.  It was truly a
lesson in humility,  but at least we both learned to appreciate how lucky we have
been in past  DXpeditions  :>)

             73,  Gary

              .

favorites at AOL Food.