Re: [IRCA] TP on SRF-39 fp barefoot

At 01:27 3/29/2008, you wrote:
>Hi Dennis,
>
>     Of the guys going to Grayland this weekend, I know  that Nick took his
>SRF-39FP and SRF-59 units.  He has heard TP's on  both stock units at home, and
>said he would try to get some more TP's at  Grayland with them.

Actually, I just had the SRF-39FP barefoot.  Surprisingly, going as far as the front door of the room was enough to get away from the computer hash at the other end of the room, as well as well away from the Beverage antennas.  Going beyond the door was not very tempting.  The cars outside had about half an inch of snow on them (this is next to the warming influence of the Pacific Ocean, and over a week after the start of spring)

Results:   the best one was the Korean jammer on 1053 which was heard several times at very recognizable level. The others identified for sure  were JOUB-774, JOAK-594, and JOAB-693, all at quite readable levels.  It seems these radios seem to need a certain signal level, then they deliver quite good audio with not much further increase in level.  There were quite a lot of hets, and I'm sure I didn't hear everything possible, but I kept nipping back to the "big iron" radios for a little more hefty DX.

Biggest disappointment was the lack of DU loggings.   There weren't that many really strong signals from there anyway, though as Dennis mentioned, the het from 738 could probably peel paint (as in fact could 1098 this morning), but the signal from either is so undermodulated, it's not easy to hear audio even with the Beverages and the big radios.

The "big iron" logs will be delivered a little later.

best wishes,

Nick