Re: [IRCA] TP logs from Grayland 3-28-08 vs Queen Charlottes

Re: [IRCA] TP logs from Grayland 3-28-08 vs Queen Charlottes

I'm over at my mother-in-law's, so don't have my notes in front of me.  Last night was a complete bust for TAs....and the A and K indices supported the collapse in conditions.  Nothing earlier in the evening.  Later (around 05:00) weak hets were heard on the strongest channels.  Yuk!  Started this morning DXing at 12:45.  Unlike you fellows down south, I thought conditions were just fine!  Perhaps not quite as good as yesterday, but still audio on practically every channel.  The DU stations on the X-band were down from previous days, though, with little or no audio.  I also heard Sabah with good strength this morning on 1475 around the same time as you guys.  I had thought that they might have abandoned MW, since it's been a while since I've heard them.  Having to head to the airport by 9, I left the shack at 7:45 to break down all but my permanent N/S mini-Beverage (still a superb performer).  I had the same wires up as after Xmas.....350 meters at 270 degrees (BOG), unterminated.  300 meters to the N/E (Europe) also a BOG.  Not a particularly great performer, The permanent N/S Beverage extended from 375 or 400' another 150 feet, terminated via a 450 ohm resistor into the ocean.  I also put up a ALA 100 M in the trees as a reference antenna, with about a 15 or 18' loop.  If I had to choose one antenna for all around DXing, it would be the mini-Beverage.  It works just incredibly well for TA and TPs, as well as for Alaska.  At dawn, it equals the long west BOG, although the latter is very very quiet!.  This morning I only had time to listen to the upper band, running out of time to go lower, so can't comment on the bottom of the band.  Lots and lots of JJ, KK, and CC stations audible today.  I now have plenty of mp3 files and .wav SDR files to have fun with.......Walt (safely home in Victoria).

-----