Re: [IRCA] Ultralight DXpeditions...Freedom and Fun Without a Ton .

Re: [IRCA] Ultralight DXpeditions...Freedom and Fun Without a Ton .

Hi Saul,

     Thanks for the interesting discussion, and you  make some excellent
points about the relative merits of table receivers and  ULR's.

     As you may have guessed, I was not out to log  India or Sri Lanka at
Grayland, hi.  I live only about 2 hours from the  ocean, and in comparison to my
home environment, Grayland provides an extra edge  in DX propagation.  The
total cost of my trip was $95, including motel,  meals and gasoline.  So my
perspective is surely different from a  DXer who must spend around $1500 for a
rare chance to chase DX on the ocean  coast.

     This test DXpedition was basically a chance to  find out whether my
hot-rodded ULR's (with 6.25" antenna transplants) could be  serious performers in
a true DXing environment, and whether the greatly  increased sensitivity would
make a real difference in DX capability.  After  thrilling DX all night long,
they proved they were equal to the task, providing  sensitivity at least to
the level of a fully-aligned ICF-2010, and  possibly exceeding it.

     An Ultralight DXpedition obviously is not going to  deploy the latest
state-of-the-art spectrum-recording equipment with  multiple narrow filters and
mega-antennas... it's just an entirely different way  of having DX fun.
The DXing challenge is greater, and the rewards in excitement and
accomplishment are greater.  The goal of "maximum rare DX" shifts to a  goal of "maximum
DX fun and excitement."  The Grayland Motel provided me  with a nice
comfortable bed, but it went unused most of the time.  I was  too busy having
thrilling DX fun all night long, amazed at what these tiny  receivers could do in a
serious DXing environment.  On this evening of  modest propagation, my two
biggest catches (China-963 and North Korea-653) were  ultra-thrilling, although a
traditional DXpeditioner using thousands of  dollars of equipment would
probably be bored with them.  It all depends on  your goals, and the challenge level
involved.  When you chase DX with  minimal equipment, you have maximal
excitement when successful.

     The Ultralight DXing phenomena is all very new,  and Ultralight
DXpeditions are the newest idea in this new DXing craze.  We  still don't know how
this new AM-DXing option will ultimately influence the  hobby, but it can never
be everything to everybody.  My own opinion, Saul,  is that it provides a new
DXing option where the objective becomes DXing  fun and excitement, rather than
an expensive competition for rare DX.

                                                73,  Gary.