Re: [IRCA] ULTRALIGHT DXING

--- Gil Stacy <gilstacy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  The 615 is the ultimate in digital stock
> Ultralights,
> imoh.  However, at $50 delivered from Amazon, the Sangean DT200VX, is
> close
> in quality to the 615 albeit a little larger in size.  It is not
> quite as
> sensitive, but is more selective than the stock 615.  It has 19
> memories
> compared to 7 memories of the 615.  It's biggest sell to me is the
> back
> light feature of the 200VX which is lacking on the 37 and 615. Both
> 615 and
> 200vx have auto turnoff so if you fall asleep, it shuts off after a
> programmable period of time.  These are all great little radios for
> DXing.
> If you live in an area with powerful locals, don't get the 37 unless
> you
> plan on changing out the filter.  I would get the 200VX before I'd
> pay for
> the 37 and filter.  It will be close in costs and the 200VX has an
> internal
> speaker (as does the 615) but not the 37.  I have all three of  the
> radios
> and these remarks are based on my experience with all three.

I don't have any direct experience with the 37 or the 615. I have an
SRF59 and a DT200vx. I could not recommend the Sangean in a strong
signal area because it simply doesn't have the selectivity. The SRF59
has both better sensitivity and selectivity than the 200. The 200 is
digital and can switch to 9 kHz spacing so I can use it to get the
analog and often touchy to tune 59 on target.

I didn't buy the 615 in part due to the extreme small size which gets
to be a problem for my eyes, but if Gil, who has both, says the T615 is
less selective than the 200, the 37 and filters may be the route to go
anyway. Or else try to get an SRF39 which is also analog but has the
larger tuning wheel.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]