[IRCA] Correct calls on 1280 Spokane, WA

[IRCA] Correct calls on 1280 Spokane, WA

Just to set the record straight, the correct calls on
1280 Spokane are KPTQ, not KPYQ.  Nice catch, Patrick!

The "Q", I believe, is a reference to it's former
calls of KAQQ, which have, what I think, are an
interesting history in Spokane.

KAQQ had a nostalgia format, & the calls & format were
moved from 590, when 590 become KQNT with conservative
talk.

The KAQQ calls were an approximation of 590's original
calls of KHQ, which the station had from its founding
in 1925 until about 1984.  The station changed calls
to KLSN, with what I thought was the goofy slogan of
"Listen 5-90."  Their FM on 98.1 also changed calls
from KHQ-FM to KISC ("Kiss FM, which it still is).

The formats of the two stations weren't changed, 590
was adult comtemporary, & 98.1 was Top 40 or CHR.

I'm pretty sure the calls were changed because the
stations were put up for sale & soon sold, & Cowles
Communications, the owner, wanted to keep the KHQ
calls on their TV station, Ch. 6, the NBC affiliate
which still has those call letters.

As one final note, I've always found it amusing that
KPTQ, which runs the Air America format, is owned by
Clear Channel Communications.  Air America often makes
reference to the fact that they would like to
dismantle Clear Channel in favor of more local
ownership.

My favorite program on KPTQ, & KPTK 1090 when I'm in
Seattle/Tacoma, is Stephanie Miller in the morning
from 6 to 9 AM.

Stan Weisbeck
Spokane, WA