Re: [IRCA] CKBD-600 and CBU-690 both Vancouver BC apply to move to FM

Re: [IRCA] CKBD-600 and CBU-690 both Vancouver BC apply to move to FM

Patrick,

     I also had no idea you were such an FM-DX chaser  before.  Yes, you
definitely need some antenna height to be seriously  competitive, unlike AM-DX.
But even at ground level here, the homebrew  2-element quads can sometimes get
three FM stations on one frequency, like 95.3  with Vancouver, Ellensburg and
Aberdeen (or thereabouts).

     One of the reasons I love the Sony ICF-S5W for  travel is because not
only is its AM sensitivity the best I've ever found for a  portable, but its FM
sensitivity is not bad, either.  When you get up high,  like on Mt. Rainier or
Mt. St. Helens, you can get almost every Portland and  SW-WA FM station.
Sometimes FM DX can be quite fascinating, but it's  nothing like receiving TP's
on a 3-ounce Ultralight AM portable, hi.  By  the way, with your fantastic
oceanfront environment, you could really put Dennis  and me to shame if you tried
TP-DX with one of the pocket  radios (SRF-59 or SRF-M37V).  I'm very curious
about what you  could do (even curious enough to send you one to find out, hi).

        73,  Gary.