Re: [IRCA] Sony SRF-M85

--- D1028Gary@xxxxxxx wrote:

>      Now, I can clearly recall some communication
> with  Powell (W4OPW) that I
> had before the current "shootout." Paul recommended
> the  "SRF-M85" as a great
> competitor for the 2008 Shootout (just like Kevin
> mentioned today).  I
> looked everywhere for a "SRF-M85" but couldn't  find
> one, only the "SRF-M85V,"
> which was everywhere. After buying the  SRF-M85V
> armband model at the local Fred
> Meyer, I gave it a brief daytime  test on the usual
> fringe stations (KONA-610,
> CFAX-1070 and KOHI-1600) and  was not very impressed
> (it couldn't get any of
> them).  Maybe I got  a "lemon," but my XYL also has
> an SRF-M85V, and that one
> couldn't get the  fringe stations either.  I
> concluded, reluctantly, that Sony
> changed  something in the SRF-M85V relative to the
> SRF-M85, and had to tell
> Powell that  impression, and that I didn't think the
> M85V would stand a chance
> in the very  rough 2008 Shootout.

What I said earlier, and I will repeat for everyone,
that there NEVER was a SRF-M85. It always had the V. I
made a mistake. Someone else posted their 2 SRF-M85V's
were great, but the original price was close to $50,
so they might have done something to the AM or there
was a "run" of bad ones. Who knows....

Powell

NNNN
POP email is powell at backroads  DOT     net