Re: [IRCA] Sony SRF-M85

Dennis and Kevin (in AZ):

     Thanks for the information on the SRF-M85 and  SRF-M85V, it is much
appreciated.

     Now, I can clearly recall some communication with  Powell (W4OPW) that I
had before the current "shootout." Paul recommended the  "SRF-M85" as a great
competitor for the 2008 Shootout (just like Kevin  mentioned today).  I
looked everywhere for a "SRF-M85" but couldn't  find one, only the "SRF-M85V,"
which was everywhere. After buying the  SRF-M85V armband model at the local Fred
Meyer, I gave it a brief daytime  test on the usual fringe stations (KONA-610,
CFAX-1070 and KOHI-1600) and  was not very impressed (it couldn't get any of
them).  Maybe I got  a "lemon," but my XYL also has an SRF-M85V, and that one
couldn't get the  fringe stations either.  I concluded, reluctantly, that Sony
changed  something in the SRF-M85V relative to the SRF-M85, and had to tell
Powell that  impression, and that I didn't think the M85V would stand a chance
in the very  rough 2008 Shootout.

     Dennis, if your M85V does a great job on  daytime fringe reception, I
would be willing to change my plan-- please let me  know what you think.

            73,  Gary