[IRCA] SRF-59 History

I have been reading all your comments regarding the SRF-59 with great interest.

I purchased a SRF-59 in 2002 or 2003.
The design I was sold was not really spectacular on AM or FM.
It was what you would expect from a $15 Walkman.

The quality of AM reception was OK.
I remember being able to hear WWKB Buffalo for the first 20 minutes or so of my commuter train trip to NYC in pitch darkness (around 5 am local listening inside the train.) WWKB is about 300 miles away from me - clear channel 50 kw directional east.

After about a year's use, the tuning capacitor wore through its thin plastic insulation sheets and began to short out below about 900 kHz.
Again, AM reception was just OK to maybe a little better than adequate. No razor sharp filtering in any case!
FM was very susceptible to overload, especially when listening while walking across Manhattan a mile or so from the Empire State Building and Times Square transmission centers.

I also found the plastic flexi-tuning gizmo to be just extraordinarily cheap and flimsy.

Bottom line: Sony must have made some radical changes in this design while retaining the model number.

It must be an entirely different radio now.

Karl Zuk   N2KZ