Re: [IRCA] Battery back up not UPS

If I had to do that, here's where I'd go..

Power Supply.  Amateur Electronics Supply  http://www.aesham.com

Astron list choice
RS-4L   3A, 4A surge    $49.99
RS-7A   5A, 7A surge    $59.99
RS-10A  7.5A, 10A surge $69.99

Battery.  Jeg's Automotive  http://www.jegs.com

Optima list choice
Yellow Top deep cycle 753-9012-021         $191.99
Yellow Top deep cycle heavy duty 753-9051-160  $244.99

So, you could get the 5A Astron and regular Optima for about $250, plus
shipping.  It would likely power the radio for a few days.  It could also be
recharged from the car if you made up a cable.

The Astron power supply will be electrically quiet, and the Optima is a
sealed battery and highly unlikely to spew acid or fumes.  Additionally, the
Optima has a very slow self-discharge, unlike regular car batteries.  I use
the Red Top normal auto battery in my truck and it's been great.  I have a
Yellow Top I use to run a heater and other things as I need it.  It just
sits in the garage otherwise.  I recharge that with an Astron 35A that I
had, and it works perfectly.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI