Re: [IRCA] Battery back up not UPS

Patrick Martin wrote:

> I am looking for a battery backup that can be run several hours if
> needed.

What kind of a load Patrick? How many amperes?

I take it that you only need 120 VAC, not 240 VAC?

I have several installed at my commercial sites. Some are the newer
full-time always-on inverter types. I don't like these and they seem
noisier, RF wise. The rest are Best Power FD series with ferro-resonant
transformers that the inverter only runs as needed. These are lots
better RF noise wise, and I think do a better job at power surges. But
they are big and heavy. If you want several hours of run time, they tend
to be about 2'x4'x4' in size, with from 4 to 8 deep-cycle batteries
inside. They're too heavy to do anything but roll with the batteries inside.

Some of these FD series are starting to show up used, and they aren't
too badly priced. You can still get service on them (they never break,
the design is really bulletproof), and the field engineers I talked to
still like the older ferro-resonant types over their newer stuff.

Some of these are smaller in size, maybe 1'x1'x2', but the capacity is a
lot less. If you didn't need the extra current of a bigger unit, you
could always create your own external battery bank. Trouble is the
battery charger in the smaller unit will take forever to charge a big
battery bank, as the smaller units won't fast charge the bigger battery
bank capacity like a larger unit will.

Rick Kunath