[IRCA] HD failure HELP!

Some potentially very bad news, guys.  My new 500 GB USB HD which I brought with me to Masset and recorded some 250 GB or so of SDR-IQ files bit the dust tonight.  I noticed while working on some emails that the Blue LED light wasn't on.

"Odd, I thought".  Better check the connections....all in order.  It's powered by a wall wart.  When I flipped the power switch, the blue LEDs would momentarily flash on, and then off.  No noise coming from the HD itself (a WD model).  Hmmm.  Not
good.  Bottom line, I removed the HD.  The power lights came on just fine, but immediately went out when I hooked up the 4 wire power plug to the HD.  I even swapped an old HD from a PC...14 GB or so and it powered up fine.  I tried the
500 GB HD in the old PC.  No joy.  It's in the deep freeze overnight before wondering what to do next.  I'm quite distressed realizing that I may have lost all of the really good DX from Masset, apart from Recall Pro and a few Edirol files.  Suggestions
and diagnoses are most welcome.  HELP!!!!  .........Walt.
PS:  I handled this thing with care.  I carried it in my backpack carefully all the way home, and it powered up fine down here, at least initially.