Re: [IRCA] TPs Oct 10: A Good and Mysterious Morning

Re: [IRCA] TPs Oct 10: A Good and Mysterious Morning

Hi, John.  A fabulous morning here in Victoria as well.  I heard some of the stations below.  Comments added:

At 10:40 AM 10/10/2007, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>Conditions were very good and I heard a number of things that have me
>puzzled.  Unfortunately, each of the mysteries was only there for a
>little while and I'll have to do more checking. Some examples:
>
>783: Two signals and the dominant sounded Vietnamese. No ID and its
>been almost 40 years since I heard a lot of Vietnamese.... more
>listening required. Probably VOV2, a first for here, if true.

5 level, but via a very brief check at 14:27.  I have this band spectrum on the SDR IQ for 90 minutes, so will have to check it (big question, though, is when!!!!?)

>810: Chinese, probably Zhejiang, but no ID.  Would be a first from here.
>
>837: A real party here. Early, this was JOQK, by itself. Mid-Dawn was
>CNR1// 5030 by itself. Late was another Asian language, by itself. It
>was possibly a south China dialect, but not // 5030. I've a recording
>of that and will try to ID the language.

My note states:  "Several including NHK1".  This would have been shortly after 13:30.

>909: Had Chinese here. All we heard at QCI, or me here or Grayland
>has been Japanese. Possibly Tianjin News.

An impossible frequency due to Village 900.  891, by the way had decent audio at 14:00, presumably HLKB.  This is rare, for the same adjacent splatter reason.

>999 Chinese peaked to very good level for a very short time... best
>guess would be Liaoning, which is close and powerful. Unfortunately
>too short for even a tentative.

Only a 4.

>1053: Korean (semi-normal) plus CC... possibly Jilin, on the border
>with North Korea.  Will have to watch this

A 6 with no description.

>1269: Hokkaido Broadcasting Co. repeaters. Heard these at QCI, but
>never here, before.

Heard at 7 level with HBC programming.

>Needless to say, it was a really good JJ, KK, CC morning.

Yessir!!!!

>I took a look for Alaskans that I have not heard and was rewarded by
>hearing KGTL-620 Homer again (2nd time) over semi-local Vancouver,
>WA/Portland and KDLG-670 Dillingham late after KBOI, Boise
>Flamethrower had faded and phased down. There are still at least a
>half-dozen frequencies that I'm able to null the southern dominant to
>noise but I've yet to hear the Alaskan.

I'll have to spend a few minutes looking at the Alaskans too (Hawaiians as well....recall I heard a number of Alaskans and Hawaiians in Tofino over the weekend....As Colin said, look and you might just hear them!).

>BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO PATRICK MARTIN ON HEARING KBRW IN THE MIDDLE
>OF THE NIGHT..  I can null KNBR, San Francisco better than Patrick,
>thanks to being a lot further north... I'm gonna set my Total
>Recorder for TOH.... or maybe Patrick's logging time and see what I
>can do unattended.... Hummmmm.

Darn right.  I can null SF pretty well, but Edmonton comes right up then.  The conditions have to be perfect, I presume.  I suspect that you'd get Edmonton very strongly as well, John.  This was also the case in Masset.