Re: [IRCA] Stopping bad Radio

Hi Craig:

Some other possibilities:

-It seems that KFBK and KGO out here reduce their own audio bandwidth to
avoid running into their own IBOC carriers  a few khz away, so it sounds
muffled and unappealing in analog mode (which is the mode in which 99% of
their listeners now receive it in).  This would seem to drive listeners
away who aren't aware of HD or don't want to pay for a new receiver.
-With the several second delay, fringe area reception that experiences
lock-unlock cycles could be pretty annoying
-You can't do live broadcasts with the delay, as in sporting events, etc.
-In addition to the cost of licensing fees, exciters, etc., "the auxiliary
tower that KFI now uses with 25 kW doesn't load up well with IBOC" (from
http://www.fybush.com/sites/2006/site-060120.html)  Since not all antennas
are up to the task, this would potentially require yet another major
capital outlay on the part of a station.

Kevin S.
Bainbridge Island, WA