Re: [IRCA] KGA 1510 app

I have been looking at the old FCC records and it looks like KGA had
several years where they did not do well in the past, especially in the
1950's and 1960's. Many years, the owners had to infuse money into the
station to keep it going and FCC almost pulled the license at one point.

In the late 1960's they tried Top40 for one year, competing with KJRB,
and I understand that KGA was not that successful in the local ratings.
There is the unconfrimed story they actually did better outside of the
market than inside. KGA had some good years with their country format
through the 1970's and into the 1980's, when the local FM country
stations took away its market share.

You are correct, now they sound like other stations on the band, with
a format that does not really stands out. I just wonder what kind of
format it would take to change that - perhaps something of a more local
tint.

Still I mourn the loss of KGA's 50 kW nighttime Class A coverage.

I am curious, how is KXLY faring in the ratings?

--
Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland

Check out the Spokane Radio History Pages
http://spokaneradio.philcobill.com

and the Spokane Radio Tower Pages
http://spokanetowers.philcobill.com