[IRCA] Ano Nuevo DXpedition

        Took a trip out to the old traditional beverage site at Ano Nuevo
Point State Park (south of SF) and rolled out a 1200-ft BOG on a 250
degree azimuth and tuned most of the morning of 9/22 with the FRG-7.
A-index was up, and it rained most of the night (including a little
cloud-to-cloud lightning), but it was my only opportunity.

        Results were rather disappointing overall, but a few interesting
results.  Had at least a carrier on every 9khz channel up to 1638 + 1683
+ 1701.  DU conditions 0800-1100 UT, then more TP on up to 1400 UT.  At
0845 had an UnID on 603 that was playing the recent hit, "Dance With My
Father Again", but the slop was so bad I couldn't catch any voice, barely
recognized the tune.  Any ideas, Patrick?  I see you had a Russian and
Korean here 5 hours later, but other receptions at the time were more DU
in nature.  1512 had presumed 2RN most of the morning.  The Russian on
279 was in decently at 1200 UT.  ADK-530, the Adak beacon, made a nice
showing from 1100 UT until dawn.

        I was pleased to hear, finally, the two PNG beacons that Steve
often hears, GA-1725 (code modulation on 1724 & 1726) and KUT-1737 (code
modulation on 1736.6 and 1737.4).  KUT was fair to good most of the
morning, and GA was hit-and-miss at about 1/3 of the strength.  Not too
bad, considering 7000 miles and only about 50 watts!  In addition, a
drift net beacon, 5IAU, was mixing it up with GA, sending several IDs
every few minutes.

        Definitely did not live up to the legendary past performance of
pilgrimages to this site in the 1980s.  Plus the added QRM of hash from
you-know-what did not help.

        More complete DXWW report to follow, Patrick, after I catch up on
my sleep!

Art Peterson
Richmond, CA