Re: [IRCA] KOHI Still Atop 1600 Long After LSS

Re: [IRCA] KOHI Still Atop 1600 Long After LSS

> I did not use the term on purpose, as the term is negative towards the
> radio stations. Les Rayburn told me that stations do not like that term
> used as in most cases they are not on high power on purpose. It is an
> accident. Do we really need to use terms to iritate radio stations?
> I  feel there are many other ways to say this other than something the
> station would take offense at.  Sure, state the station may be on high
> power, but my feeling is to stay away from terms the iritate the
> broadcasters. Don't we want a decent relationship between the DXer and
> the station?

When a station does the final ID after a football game and then promptly
disappears, the cheating term probably fits.  The HSFB STA term coined is a
more pleasant way to put it, but still has the same meaning.

As someone who has worked in radio since 1970, I am not offended when I read
that term.  The people who would be offended are the ones whose stations are
running their legal power, and propagation has made them more audible than
usual.  I have a couple of low night power semi-locals on 650 and 740.
Neither would be very likely to intentionally cheat, but now and again I can
hear them after dark.

So, labeling the one that dropped out of sight after the game should be
called a cheater.  A daytimer heard after dark could also be called that,
even if it's a technical glitch.  The failure of someone to notice that they
are still on puts the blame squarely on them anyhow.  And, even a fulltimer
that didn't drop due to a control problem likewise should have someone to
check.  The Burk remote control does have a powerful scripting ability to
check these things and call someone.  It's their fault.

Looks to me where the only time the "cheater" term is misapplied is when
propagation enhances someone's flea power.  We should be careful then.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI