Re: [IRCA] KOHI Still Atop 1600 Long After LSS

Re: [IRCA] KOHI Still Atop 1600 Long After LSS

If you're referring to my post, and use of the word
'cheater' (you don't say which word but I think this
is a safe assumption that it is that word), then my
use of it was really intended as a term that has
arisen to define the phenomenon of a station that airs
when it shouldn't, or at a power or pattern that it
shouldn't, for *whatever* reason. Furthermore, I see
it as almost an affectionate term for the reason that
follows in my next point.

My post pointed out that 'cheaters' (and again I
intend this term as a colloquialism, not as the decree
of judge and jury) are today's DX tests, DX
opportunities if you will. And, for the record, I
think there are -- very generally speaking -- two
kinds of 'cheaters': Those which leave their signals
and or say patterns on well after sunset (which could
very well mean an equipment malfunction, and possibly
inattentive staff if the problem persists for months
on end; if this is only an occasional occurrence it
can also be due to the vagaries of propagation; and in
a few rare cases there may be personnel who simply
don't care or may even do it intentionally - one would
have to prove that, of course). The other variety is
what I call the High School Footballer: Stations which
power down or go off *immediately* after a game, even
though they should have done so at sunset. These ones
are pretty obvious, folks! But, c'mon -- would Friday
Night DXing be the same without the High School
Fotballers? The band is so ordinary so much of the
time. Early Friday evening is actually one of my
favourite times for DXing. The 1350 in MN that was
apparently at it last night is on my most-wanted list!