Re: [IRCA] Shorter BOGs

--- Neil Kazaross <neilkaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Russ,
>
> You wouldn't want to do anything to the phase wire to make it less
> directive
> IMHO or you'd risk messing up the combo of the two when you phase
> null ie
> lots of side QRM introduced. As it is, a 100 ft BOG has quite a wide
> beam,
> FMI, and I think you'd do better on LBI with at least a 300 ft BOG as
> phase antenna and make it // the main BOG(s).

I think you're misinterpreting something here but that's reasonable
since I haven't presented the total picture of the layout in some time.
We use BOG's of between 500 and 800 feet. The phase wire is, IIRC
between 100 and 150'. The latter has been the same length 5 years in a
row. We have used up to 1400' once. We have found that the npoint of
diminishing returns for this location is between 800' and 1000' in the
sense that we notice no improvement at all at lengths beyond 1000'. The
logistical issues with running that long are numerous as that forces us
to cross another vehicle path used by 4WD's where it's nearly
impossible to bury the wire so as to prevent it being dislodged and broken.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id