[IRCA] IBOC testimonial

OK, I haven't jumped into this whole IBOC mess too much, but I got this completely unsolicited comment from a friend in Toronto this morning. Although he is a ham and works as a tech in the aeronautical communications industry, he is not a BCB DXer by any means. Just more fuel for the fire. Here's what he had to say:

"This morning I was listening to WLAC-1510 out of Nashville. The reception was pretty good, though sometimes it was so good I thought it was a local station. At the same time I was trying to listen to a Buffalo station on 1520, which happens to be a spitting distance from me compared to WLAC?. I could barely make out that one, even though it apparently runs 50 kW."

When I told my friend about IBOC and HD (which he'd never heard of before), this was his response:

"If this IBOC thing is what you say it is then you can include me in the ?disinterested? group. I like AM radio the way it is and if they think I?ll be spending extra bucks for a fancy AM radio then they have another thing coming. Not interested, thank you very much."

So there you have it. Pretty interesting if you ask me. BTW, I have sent along his comments with his permission.

73s,

Jim Pogue
Memphis, TN