Re: [IRCA] New Old Radio

At 10:36 PM 9/11/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I have just procurred a Hallicrafters S-38B mint in box (or so I was
>told... and it looks that way).
>
>It is in a nice Hallicrafters box "THE RADIO MAN'S' 'RADIO'... with a 7
>page manual.
>
>Wondering about powering this thing up and seeing if it works... looking
>for ideas... maybe current value on the collector market??
>
>Phil Bytheway
>Seattle WA

Phil,

I'd stongly suggest you "Variac" the input mains voltage up if you have an auto
transformer. If you intend to keep and use the set, put it on an
autotransformer
and you it at 100 VAC. This will very much lengthen the tube life.

Short story: The set is worth much more than you would suspect if you offer it
as an antique at eBay.

Charles