Re: [IRCA] DX Heaven....

At 08:46 PM 9/12/2007, you wrote:
>The other half and I are planning on living somewhere cheap and with
>low population as retirement slowly draws closer.
>
>We're tending towards far northern Maine as being a place one of us
>knows well and being low in population.
>
>Labrador and NF look like fine places to live (Change and Fogo Islands
>come to mind) but we don't know what the problems would be with the
>Canadian government. We're a middle-aged Anglo-American couple and as
>such we'd be pretty unfashionable as potential tenants with the
>federal powers that be up there as far as we can tell.
>
>(Of course, she does have a bloodline that tracks back to relatives on
>the rez in mid-Quebec, but figuring it all out would be pretty
>difficult after three generations spent a lot of time trying very hard
>to conceal all indication of Indian blood back in the teens and
>twenties because of the troubles it would have caused them....like
>having property confiscated, etc...)
>
>Ah man, even so I can't help but wonder what I'd be hearing on the
>band towards dusk if I lived on the beach in NF...
>
>Lee
Lee, I don't think that they're many beaches in Newfoundland....the place is a rock.  How anyone ever lived there has always had me puzzled.  My brother lived in St. John's for about 5 years and hated it....the weather mainly.  Everywhere else was warm and summery, while it was cold and wet on the Rock.  He was glad to return to Halifax.  Retirees in Canada are not very welcome as I understand it, unless sponsored by their families under family reunification. .........Walt.