[IRCA] KFIR-720 ETC.

Spent the weekend in Redmond, OR and KFIR was OK using the 2010 and
the Palomar loop. However, I don't have anything to compare it with
so can't really say they are now 10kw vs. their previous 1kw.

This is a nice DX area with the likes of KFAQ-1170 (never heard in
Tacoma), WCCO-830 (heard once), WBAP, KRLD popping in. Didn't really
have a chance to grasp the whole band as it got in to the 30s at
night and twas a little nippy out on the deck. Locally at night,
KRCO-690 was marginal in Redmond thanks to CBU and the XE; KBND-1110
was OK; KICE-940 was non-existent. I haven't seen the pattern for the
new 900kHz station (50kw day, 1+kw at night) in Bend but the growth
area is off of Hwy. 97 so to be effective it has to cover Prineville,
Madras and Redmond as well as Bend. Most of the FMs cover all the
markets either directly or with translators. There is also a new
Class IV station planned for Bend (1400 I think). Very good beacon
(LW) reception noted as well.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n