Re: [IRCA] coax update

Craig Healy wrote:
> Hammond also makes weatherproof boxes like the 1590CW.  Far more pricey,
> though.  I'd think that a regular aluminum box and some silicone would do
> the job nearly as well.

The big gotcha with weatherproof gasketed metal boxes is that if the
gasket insulates the cover, you've just negated the shielding.

So, no gaskets on the boxes, unless they are the CATV type with rubber
with a metal flexible mesh over them for making contact with the cover,
and an O-ring behind that to seal the box. Scrap CATV subscriber tap
cases make pretty good shielded cases, and can often be had for free.

With an insulated cover, the  box won't be shielded on all sides.

That Hammond box looks fine.

Rick Kunath