[IRCA] 1181 Mystery carrier

I fired up Spectran this morning and 1181 was rock solid at 10:30 am
ET, Aug 19 2007.  Not very strong, might be missed if just listening,
but with narrow filters and the Spectran display, the signal was
obvious.  Close as I can tell -- though I couldn't tweak my receiver
tuning very well because only 10 and 15MHz WWV could be heard -- the
frequency seems to be spot on, assuming 1181 is the intended frequency.

I listened and watched the signal all night last night until about
2am local.  There was some fading but the signal was always there
except for a brief period between 1149 and 1152 ET when it seemed to
suddenly switch off then back on.

Efforts to DF were unsuccessful last night, using a couple portables
and a Quantum Loop.  Nothing could be determined with the
portables.  A slight dip in signal strength was noted with the loop,
but it was inside and weather precluded outside measurements.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida, USA
[Ten-Tec RX-320D; LFE H-800 Vertical; Spectran]
[Palstar R30cc;  Quantum QX Loop]
[Kaito KA1121 & Panasonic RF-B45]