[IRCA] Dxing from Vancouver Island (and chasing CBXQ-540?)

At 02:26 PM 6/24/2007 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>In mid-July I'll be spending a few days on the west coast of Vancouver
>Island - Tofino and Ucluelet. I live in the Toronto area and this will be my
>first visit to the west coast. I'll have a Kaito 1103 with its built in whip
>antenna with me.

Mark,

If you drive across, watch out for the "rustics" in Saskatchewan.

Whilest you're DXing for exotic stuff, why not track down and gawk at little
CBXQ (540) Ucluelet? I think there's another LPRT in Tofino, but don't
know the frequency.

I believe you'll see a small antenna tuning unit on a pole feeding a longwire.
The ATU should have a coax going into a small shack. Probably on the railroad.

I've visited a couple Japanese stations, many Filipino stations, a couple
Bermuda stations, and many an American station, but given the choice of
locating and photographing an LPRT or visiting RCI facilities in Sackville,
I'd choose the LPRT hands down.

I once reported CBLG-730, Geraldton (ON) [a little 40-W LPRT, probably now
long-gone). I got the standard CBC QSL card AND A TECHNICAL MANUAL for a 40-
W LPRT transmitter!

Time and many moves and I lost the tech manual, but having worked on 50 - 500
kW HFBC transmitters for 20 years, I'd SO much be glad to find that little
manual.

Charles

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina