[IRCA] A little more about Hollander and Deutsch

At 05:40 PM 6/15/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Charles
>
>  Pietsch is German. My name was Warger. If you speak either language you
>realize how very different
>they really are but with short written sentences you can get the gist of
>what is being said.
>Maria

Maria,

I saw your direct reply to me after a wrote the previous e-mail.

I am exceedingly gifted in languages (learning them well and without
accent) and in linguistics (the study of languages).

That written, I first was introduced to Spanish via radio and "DXing."
I learned a bunch of vocabulary via radio, and so when I entered HS,
without hesitation, I jumped into Spanish.

In sophomore year, I wanted to take an additional language. I had a
choice of German, French or Latin. Since (also via radio) I had
already dove deep into Portuguese, it had to be a Romance ("Latinic")
language, but Latin...me not yet having developed a scientific
approach to Latin languages...was too esoteric.

So it was French I chose.

Maybe to my detriment, as German would have exposed me to a new
vocabulary and a grammatical system that actually approaches Latin
more than the latter-day Latin languages.

But nevermind. When it comes to vocabularies and grammatical
structures, I dove into something radically different when I
took up the study of Tagalog, the Boss's country's official
national language. You may call it "Filipino."

So German, an Indo-European language...and by extension, Hollander,
would be much more a pushover, one may say.

But, didn't go down that road of life.

So I'm glad that another American appreciates another language.

Again, my condolences; and thank you for your "ear."

Cholly (as my good fellow lunatick, the Great Casketfeller calls
me!)

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina