Re: [IRCA] Copper/Radials

> ..why would a station need radials into salt water, as the latter is a
> perfect or near perfect conductor, so how is anyone further ahead with
> radials into the water?  I would think that all one would need is a
> good electron sink into the salt chuck and that would do just fine.

There has to be some connection to the salt water.  Even a small number of
stub radials would work.  I've found that radials often work better than a
ground rod for RF.  A deep ground rod is good for lightning ground, however.
Bear in mind that the tower of an AM station is only half the antenna.  The
radials comprise the other half.  A buried half a dipole, sorta.

One of my clients just had a 170-200 foot well casing driven in next to the
tower for lightning ground.  It's an FM, so there was no need for radials.
Many high voltage power distribution towers around here use four 150' +/-
lengths of #8 copperweld wire for lightning ground.  So, both can be
effective.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI