Re: [IRCA] CFB (Compact Florescent Blubs)

Re: [IRCA] CFB (Compact Florescent Blubs)

> I will have to buy a CFB the next time I am at Fred Meyer to check it
> out.
> Thanks for feedback. At least there is hope with this. I don't know if
> all of the bulbs are as quiet or not. Which brand do you use?
>
> 73,
>
> Patrick

Are we still on CFL's ?? (it's "Lamp", not "Bulb", or even a "Blub")

Check out this link  (wrapped? last letters in link are "fda")

www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=aa7796aa-e4a5-4c
06-be84-b62dee548fda

Whatever you do, DON'T call the Poison Control Center when you
drop your CFL....   (read the article for why)

When I was in grade school, I had a three pound bottle of mercury.
It was several inches tall and completely filled with liquid mercury.
We used to pour it on to the floor of the classroom, in fairly small
amounts, and watch it bead up and run into the cracks of the wooden
floor. And then put dimes (made of silver then) into the floorboard
cracks to soak up the mercury (took a few minutes) so the dime got
sort of a frosty look, then go out later and spend the dimes after being
in our pocket. It's called "silver amalgam" as your dentist knows.

The mercury exposure levels now are like asbestos. The people who
have died from mesothelioma are the ones who worked in
the shipyards for 20 years and used to shake out the white
asbestos dust from their clothing every night when they got home.

Being in a room once, for 10 minutes, where overhead pipes are
covered with stable asbestos is IMHO not a health hazard. But now the
PC crowd has made it as if you will die if you even see a PICTURE
of asbestos.

I think mercury, a known problem in sufficient amounts, is also way
overstated as to just what is a sufficient amount. I don't think that
the
mercury I was exposed to 50 years ago has killed me yet. But I am
sure I went way past "300 billionth of a gram/cubic meter". Please
stand by while I check my pulse ....

OK, still going. The mercury hasn't kicked in yet I guess. Maybe by
2009?

I have to admit, few in my class were interested in owning their
own personal three pounds of mercury.  I gave it away long ago,
after ruining a bunch of dimes. I think I then moved on to studying
the solubility index of carbon tetrachloride, then available in large
quantity as a dry cleaning agent. That's what you used then to remove
chewing gum.  At Home, I might add. Today, CCl4 is a Known Killer etc.

The story I have seen is that, if CFL are mandated, the demand will
be so great that many new plants will need to be built to make them,
the plants will be built in China where there are no real enviro laws,
and the pollution from the new bulb factories will create a net loss
in the environment. And if the new plants burn coal well, guess
what is in untreated coal smoke blowing all over the world.

Someone is going to make a "Lot of Money" on CFL's someday.

- Bob

PS radio related?? Chinese coal smoke will tarnish the bandswitch
contacts in your radio.   See?  On Topic :-) And a broken 673 rectifier
tube contains a lot of mercury, which vaporizes in use. Or when dropped.