Re: [IRCA] A idea for future DX Tests.....Any Sonar Techs Aboard?

At 21:06 21/03/2007, you wrote:
>     Once again, Charlie-san makes a discovery. Do we have any Sonar
>Techs out there in DX-land? Going back MANY years, during in-processing
>at Navy boot camp, we were tested for conversion to sonar techs. Why? I
>haven't the slightest idea. Apparently, a few of us scored high enough
>as they promised us "the world" if we would convert. I stuck with my
>promised Corpsman rating.
>
>     Point is, whether high frequency or low frequency, a sonar's ping is
>distinct and does carry a fair distance. If that technology could be
>utilized in conjunction with what the techs on this list know, it might
>be a help.

A sonar's ping is high intensity for a short period of time,
Mike.  Its average power is low as long as the repetition rate is
low.   Unfortunately, I don't think broadcasters are allowed to
calculate average power (is 1 Megawatt for 1% of the time equivalent
to 10000 watts all the time....?)

But sonar pings are also coded with various phase shifts over the
duration of the ping, so that the reflection can be recognized, and
Doppler shifts calculated, but then, that's the sort of thing we've
already been discussing, encoding the station's carrier or a specific
frequency in the sideband.

best wishes,

Nick
(not quite a sonarman, but I do build and service the durn things)