Re: [IRCA] A idea for future DX Tests.....

At 04:04 PM 3/19/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>Charles,
>
>You're certainly entitled to your opinion. For the record, what do you
>consider "special effects"? In the 1970's or 1980's, receivers
>with IF DSP would have seemed like magic.

Les,

OK, you've taken me in back of the wood shed and given me a good trashing.

Hi.

Somehow, I didn't expect everyone to leap up and as shout, "Charles, you've
got a point there!"

I'm taking the view that IBOC will crash. But if the band is wall-to-wall hiss,
I'm not much for continuing. I'll just have to migrate to SWBC in the meantime.

No matter whether you use a beverage, active antenna or loop; if you log an
ID by a human voice in whatever language on LSB, USB or AM, that's a log-
ging. If there's no human voice, then it all seems pretty empty to me.

The human factor.

I have logged MedFERs just above the old 1600 kHz top frequency. All on
tape, but I don't count them as they're not BC stations.

>And I can almost bet that your station count is much higher than mine will
>ever be. I think I've logged about 600 stations in nearly five years. Not
>too impressive, huh? A big part of the reason is that most of my hobby
>time is consumed with organizing DX tests, replying to QSL requests,
>and trying to figure out ways to make the whole experience better.

I'm a DX "libertarian." I don't request QSLs because I think of the guy
who has to do the job of preparing one. But if I can persuade a station to do
a DX test for you all, you bet I will!

Yes, your point is well taken: we must keep up the times. But if have to
log stations by copying code, then I really should be on the ham bands.

>Anyone who thinks I'm in this for logging totals isn't seeing the big
>picture.

That remark about "whatever increases your station count" seems to
have not been well thought out. I regret it.

Still, if I'm going to turn into a sonarman to log my stations, then I
don't belong on the 530 - 1710 kHz AM band.

73,

Charles

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
Greenville, North Carolina